Here we are, the Davis clan. We're venturing out into the world, trying to follow God's lead. We hope you'll enjoy watching our family learn and grow.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reflections

Sunday night- Brothers and Sisters
Monday night- The Bachelor
Tuesday night- The Biggest Loser and sometimes American Idol
Wednesday night- American Idol
Thursday night- Grey's Anatomy and The Office
Friday night- Supernanny (hehe)
Saturday- football, soccer

I've got a show for every night of the week. Granted, i'm home alone after the kids are in bed, so it's really my dose of adult conversation for the day. I've started to realize recently that I've really got to be careful of what i'm putting into my heart. The truth of the matter is, it's very easy to forget to read my Bible for the day, and many times I use up the little energy I have at the end of the day to sit and watch a show instead of reading or spending some time in prayer. And i'm supposed to be taking care and nurturing my babies and husband....on words of encouragement from one of those shows?!
I used to laugh at "Christian" music, thinking it was cheezy. I also thought that those who couldn't make it in the industry resorted to playing Christian music. I'll be the first to say I still have my preferance to which i'll listen to. I've reached the point where I realize that I've got to intentionally put God's word into my head and heart. If I don't make an effort to put the knowledge of his words into myself, they're not going to be there! What will the fruits of my life look like without them? Osmosis doesn't pertain here.
I certainly can't do enough works to make me clean before God. His grace is all that saves me. "Set your hearts on things above." Col 3:1
So if turning off the tv and turning on the music is going to help me set my heart on things above, I need to do it. I'd much rather have my ears and those of my kids hear Jesus' name set to pretty music, than someone taking the Lords name in vain all morning. Afterall, as I walk through the living room and hear the music and voices singing of Jesus and his love and God in his infinate wisdom, I can't help but think of things above! And if that means someone couldn't make it in the industry, then i'm glad they're singing about the stuff that really matters. I challenge you to listen. I bet you'll think on things above!
Amy
(Shane and Shane) are some of my new favorite artists.

3 comments:

Erik Scharrer said...

Word. I was just thinking about this topic a few days ago (and I happen to really like the Christian station here), but my thought was a little different... That station is ALWAYS on when we get in the car to go anywhere and we like to sing along and listen to the songs, prayers, scriptures, encouragement, etcetera, but very often my mind starts to wander and I think about the 42 trillion other things going on and I'm not focused on listening to the point. That's when I thought that even if I wasn't actively worshipping with the radio, it's just as well to have "good" background noise than junk that makes its way into my head. I guess it kind of is like osmosis, in a way. Peace.

Mat n' Kat said...

Amy - we couldn't agree with you more!! "Preach it Sista!" (Words of Matt!). We too have realized just how saturated our lives can become when (in ungodliness) when we choose to pick up the remote instead of our bibles! Music is a great choice! That is one of my favoprite things to do - puts my mind on my heavenly father!

Laura Beth and Cliff said...

We have the same weekday shows. How fun! Thanks for the blog entry! It was a good encouragement.