Oh Gracious. Leah and Logan are so different. I love them because of that, and am baffled by it.
Our morning started out alright, Logan slept a bit longer than his usual 6:15. He woke up nicely enough and then...the crying began. I had a few extra minutes of sleep so I was patient enough to redirect him after a long time of screaming for no apparent reason. No fever, no injuries, no hungry tummy. Leah and Logan headed upstairs and after a few moments of uncomfortable silence, I headed up the stairs, away from my laundary folding to check out the scene. Logan was emptying the bottle of conditioner into the bathtub. I guess I should be greatful it was in the bathtub instead of on the floor.
The rest of the morning and afternoon continued with markers on the table and the chairs, some on the kitchen floor. We even found Logan coloring with a pen on my piano bench, passed down from my Grandma. (This came off quite easily but did cause some tears to brim from me.) My feeling dizzy all day hasn't helped.
Lunch went off without a hitch except the plates ending up on the floor and having to fight off Elmer. Logan went down for a nap easily and I had a few minutes to gather myself.
Kids wake up, time to run to the store. We're out of milk. Kids are good, back home safely even though I'm dizzy.
Dinner helped settle us all down after a day of what seemed to feel out of control for me. The three of us sat nicely and ate our supper, enjoying each others company. Logan proceeded to throw his food on the floor, mimicking lunchtime. I kept my cool, cleaned it up and set the kids up with some peel-back letter stickers and some paper. Logan got ahold of the container and threw three handfuls of the little letters all around the room.
Time out.
Come talk to Mommy. Time outs with Logan end with me using a stern voice, and him raising one hand to the side of my face and smiling with his dimples as if to say, "Sweet Mommy, I won't do it anymore. I love you."
Clean up. Everybody upstairs. I sit down to get in touch via e-mail with my volleyball team, too dizzy to play tonight.
"Mommy, Logan put a pretend pepper in the potty!" Clean up. Time out.
Sit back down at the computer.
"Mommy! Logan is hitting me!" Discussion.
Sit back down to try and begin to type this post, still floored at everything he's done today.
"Mommy! Logan is squirting conditioner..." She didn't need to finish her sentence. He'd done it again. And I had even put the conditioner away after the first time.
Time out. Mommy's getting tired.
Sit back down at the computer. Leah and Logan head downstairs. "Mommy, I have to go to the bathroom, " Leah calls from downstairs. She goes. Everything gets quiet except my tapping here in the keyboard. I head downstairs. Where's Logan. No exaggeration, it's only been 2 minutes.
I turn the corner into my bathroom. "Splat!" Logan somehow got his little mitts on a cup, and he's scooping water out of the toilet, pouring it onto the floor.
The irony slams me in the head, sending me dizzy yet again. Here I am, upstairs writing a post about all the trouble he's gotten into. I've taken more time to clean up his messes than write about them.
Time out for Mommy. Big time time out for Logan.
Clean up. On my way back to the kitchen, I notice a familiar marker sitting on the floor, uncapped. Unreal. I glance over to see some nicely drawn "circles!" on the piano bench. AGAIN. Green on the ivories. Green on the lid. Lucky for me, it's a dry erase marker. Comes off in one swipe. My grandmother would take that piano away if she saw this. When did he have time to do that?!
Some of you may be thinking, "She's making it up. It's not possible."
Wrong you would be.
Some of you may be thinking, "He shouldn't have that much time to get into that much trouble."
Wrong you would be. You obviously don't have kids and if you do then you're not doing anything else around the house . This is my quest. Find balance.
Some of you may be thinking, "He's awesome."
I know who you are, Christi, Stephen and Vanessa and your respective spouses.
Some of you may be thinking, "What a bratty kid."
Wrong you would be.
He's smart. He's sneaky. He's creative. He's resiliant. He's charming. He's a clown. He's strong. He's kind. He's thoughtful. He's already got a heart for learning about Jesus. He is perfect.
I shudder at the thought that he's not even 2 yet...he's keeping me on my toes. But then I think to myself that he has been made just as God intended. I can't help but wonder what our Lord has in store for Logan over the years. Guess we better hang on tight!
1 comment:
I can totally relate to this post. Some days I feel like I don't have time for anything else besides entertaining, redirecting, and disciplining!
Post a Comment