It's the third week of October. Ryan took me out on a date tonight. Two weeks in a row! Katie stayed with the kids and had a good night. She and Leah were talking about Sleeping Beauty and about Malifecent the witch from that movie. Katie called her "Magnificent" as a joke and Leah looked at Katie and straight-faced said, "Ma-LA-lA-LA-facent", as if to teach her the correct pronunciation. I keep thinking of how Vanessa makes fun of how I taught Leah "thank you" in sign language, repeating it and saying it slowly. I"m sure she'll find fuel in this story, but thought it too funny to omit.
Tonight, we did some Christmas shopping for the kids. I realized tonight that I'm enjoying our kids even more as they grow up. It's such a special time when they're infants, relying on me completely. They snuggle, want to be rocked, they listen when I sing. I used to be sad thinking about all of that going away.
But the truth is, it gets better. Leah asks me to sing now, and she sings along with me! She's singing every word to "Once Upon a Dream", from Sleeping Beauty like it's her job. She even knows the line, "The gleam in your eyes is so familiar it seems..." She still likes to snuggle after her naps, and even asks to be rocked every so often before bedtime.
Logan is growing out of the infant stage now and has so much personality we find ourselves itching to hear what he's thinking behind those smiling eyes and that goofy chuckle. And when I take him to bed at night in his footie pajamas, he always puts his head on my shoulder as soon as I start singing his song. They understand more how much they're loved, not just that they're provided for. That's pretty special to me and to Ryan I'm sure.
We had so much fun playing Santa tonight! I just found myself in the office trying to hide the presents. Leah's not oblivious anymore, and doesn't really forget the important stuff like a shiny new box in the closet. I really felt like a full-blooded parent tonight. Using date-night for Christmas shopping, hiding the presents, and then feeling all happy inside, anxious to wrap them and put them under the tree. It's so nice to be out with Ryan too. Doing something so special for our family, just the two of us...we even got excited about how many more years we'll get to have Santa date nights in the future! I realize too, that I enjoy Ryan more as we grow up too.
And to all, a good night.
1 comment:
I just love reading your blog! Your Santa date sounds 'magnificent'. Reading your reflections on the great moments in life as well as the stressful times inspires me to be more mindful of appreciating those elements in my own life. That insight has been particularly valuable to me during student teaching this semester. Thanks! Did you go trick or treating last night?
Post a Comment