Here we are, the Davis clan. We're venturing out into the world, trying to follow God's lead. We hope you'll enjoy watching our family learn and grow.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Special Day!


Today was Leah's special day with Daddy. We've started using a new discipline system with her. We've decided as parents that we're not going to spank the kids. Having said that, we needed a system that holds weight with Leah. Time out is a joke to her. We tried taking away her princess dress or princess shoes, but that didn't always fit the crime. We decided a reward system would work most effectively with Leah. Being teachers, we both realize the value in expecting age appropriate good behavior, and age appropriate rewards for that good behavior.
I came up with the Puff-Ball Jar. It's actually an old vase that looks kind of funky. I got a few bags of colored craft puff balls at Wal-Mart. When Leah is caught doing something great like sharing or listening well, or even having a great nights sleep, we let her put a puff ball into the jar. As the jar fills up, she reaches 3 different milestones. And of course when she's having difficult time sharing or listening or obeying, she gets 2 warnings and then has to take a puff ball out of the jar. She chose what her rewards would be so that she knew what she was working toward. She and I had a special day about 2 months ago, and today was the day she and Ryan went out.
He took her to the IMAX theater to watch, Madagascar 2. It was her first time in a theater, I was a bit jealous that I didn't get to see the whole reaction. But she wanted to go with Daddy, so it was pretty special for Ryan too. Ryan said that she sat in her own seat until the last 10 minutes or so, and then she sat with him. She ate popcorn and peanut M&M's, and drank Sprite. When they got home, she told me her favorite character was the Hippo. She loved it!
Good job Leah, we're so proud of you, earning your special day. You're already accomplishing goals you've set for yourself. Your next special day is with Gi-Gi and Papa and rumor has it, they want to take you to the zoo!

2 comments:

KG said...

I can't get over how old she looks in this picture! She just beautiful, Aim!

KG said...

I can't get over how old she looks in this picture! She just beautiful, Aim!